Monday 17 October 2016

Bit of a Cock Up on the Summer House

I was trying to use 6mm ply to skin the internal curve of the roof, but it was just too stiff, and even cut into narrower pieces I was struggling. It even started cracking as I forced it up into the curve using a prop. I was rather surprised, but one has to be pragmatic... no good saying "It should take that sort of curve easily". I'm sure it will be fine on the top of the roof as I'll be able to screw down one edge and then use my body weight on a board to hold it down and work along the curve.
Anyhow, I took down the two bits I'd screwed up (that shows the benefit of screws over nails). I went down to Wickes and looked at their 4mm ply, it still seemed stiff as hell, so I went for hardboard instead, vastly easier to work with on the awkward overhead curve.
It's a pig to transport 8'x4' sheets of hardboard, but my top tip is to tie a couple of ladders to you roof rack and strap the hardboard onto them, stops 'em flapping in the wind.
I've got the hardboard held up with flange head screw, all in neat rows, I think it gives it a hint of 50's sci fi space ship chic. Prob won't be allowed to paint it silver and add big control levers and flashing lights :-(
It's been rather showery of late which has had me working off and on, so I've got some plastic sheet over it.
It was funny the other day, the rain had accumulated on top of the plastic, Jackie pushed it up from inside while I held the plastic taut to make sure it didn't pull back into the summer house, I got soaked as it came down in a torrent in unpredictable direction, I had a good laugh as I was ready to quit and get changed anyway.
I'll soon have it basically finished, I'll probably make temporary doors and cover the end with thick polythene to keep the rain out. That will give me time to make decent doors.

I'm enjoying the break from bows but I'll be glad to get back them soon. Bit of a shame I've had a few people enquiring after bows, two for 'boo backed Yew and a couple of warbows. Problem is I don't have any decent warbow staves or clean Yew heartwood for backing. I need to review my stash to see if there's anything that might do.

2 comments:

  1. A little late now but, when they make skateboard ramps, you put the plywood on diagonally. More waste but it takes the curve better. I like the look you got going on with it! Cheers- Brendan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I've seen 'em building boat hulls with diagonal strips too. Makes sense. This is one time my bowmaking skills have been "non-transferable" (to use the modern bollockspeak ... apologies to George Orwell).
      Cheers :-)

      Delete