Wednesday 3 August 2016

Hazel Primitive

I'm always blethering on about how the best way to start making bows is with a Hazel stave, and how you can season it quickly if it's reduced in size.
Well, I thought I'd put my money where my mouth is, but just to make it interesting I'm using a wonky or "character" stave. I also decided to make it for a friend who had a bow from me a while back, she's a health care professional (to use the current terminology) and has a penchant for buying bows most of which are modern things (and pink!). She's into all forms of archery, and very enthusiastic, so I thought I'd indoctrinate her into the joys of a Primitive style bow for field shooting.

Now seeing as how I volunteered myself for this build I thought it would be nice to donate any money we decide the bow is worth to a charity that she supports.
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS)
Anyhow I'm jumping the gun... the bow may not turn out... but here are some pics.
It was cut on the 9th of June  so it's not even had a full month yet, mind it was roughed down soon after being cut and stored somewhere warm and draughty.
It's just flexing a little at 40# on a taut string. I'm aiming for 40-45# at 28" and at the moment, I have some doubt about the string line and the fact that it barely flexes... but I have to trust my instincts.




I don't know if the bark will stay on the bow as the stave was cut in the summer. Note there is a sort of concave area on the back, half way up the lower limb (top left pic) that should be interesting!

2 comments:

  1. A wonky bow for a wonky archer, it matches my spine perfectly, ha ha. Keeping multiple limbs and digits crossed in the way only people with Ehlers-Danlos can :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am working on a hazel primitive at the mo so watching this with interest

    ReplyDelete